Photographs, Jewellery, Food and Life by Son Memelink

16 April 2013

Saving Dapper Ducky

Having just written about 'ship wrecks' in the Amsterdam canals, I had another experience with one of them today. These, almost completely, but not quite, submerged boats are real death traps for young birds. Sometimes they'll manage to 'tumble' into one and go for a safe swim but then find it hard to get out of again, because of the raised edges along the side.
From my apartment I spotted a mother duck with her little ones, in trouble.  One of them was about to drown.
I ran towards them and met a young, brave Czech girl, who had also realised that the ducklings were in trouble. Time for action: The owner of a restaurant lent us his ladder and a helping hand. The Czech girl called her friend, who came running, passersby stopped and gave 'advice' (amazing how these little fluff balls, soften the heart of the people.)
All of this resulted in 'Czech girl' climbing/dropping down the 'very wonky' ladder and pushing 'the death trap' down just that little bit more, so that the ducklings and their mum could escape.....except for the one, which she managed to, gently, pick up and hand over to me.

My neighbour offered to call the animal ambulance, while I held little 'Ducky', wrapped in a cloth,  close to my heart, under my jumper. When they came to collect 'him', Ducky looked plucky and could hold his head up again.
saying goodbye
Bon Voyage!

No comments: